I seriously condemn websites that change the font smoothing of blocks of text in their CSS styles. I seriously hate
-moz-osx-font-smoothingand I strongly believe that the world would be better if those goddamn’d properties didn’t exist. Ye, I understand that subpixel antialiasing doesn’t make sense on high DPI screens and that HDPI screens are usually better with grayscale scaling. But most websites change the aliasing in awful ways. Why can’t you apply a media query to only change the font smoothing on bigger displays? On my non-HDPI 1080p Dell display, grayscale antialiasing makes me want to rip off my eyes.
Some updates on what I've recently added to my site in the last few months as part of my effort this year to make danirod.es my main online identity and stop depending on social networks. I added new post types such as notes and photos for shorter status updates, and I added more HTML and XML feeds. I'm still using the same shitty software, although I'm considering for alternatives now.
This year, I want to make danirod.es my main online identity and stop relying so much on social networks for hosting my content, such as my photos or my status updates. This will not change the use I make of social networks, so if you follow me on social networks, not much will be noticeable. This blog post will help me control the list of changes and features I’ll add to my website through the year in order to make it open, federated, and independent.
Este año, quiero convertir danirod.es en mi principal identidad online y dejar de depender tanto de las redes sociales para alojar mi contenido, como fotos o actualizaciones de estado. Esto no cambiará el uso que hago de las redes sociales, así que si me sigues en una red social, no vas a notar demasiados cambios. Esta entrada de blog me ayudará a documentar la lista de cambios y características que voy a implementar en mi página web a lo largo de este año para volverla abierta, federada e independiente.
I have a problem. Sometimes I'm slightly paranoid about computer security. Sometimes I wonder if the pages I visit are being logged somewhere when I'm on my university network. And when it comes to servers I manage, sometimes I wonder if I'm actually alone or not. Logs aren't enough, as someone clever enough may wipe their footprints after getting access to the server. If you want to reliably track break-in attempts, you'll have to log them outside your server, somewhere where your lurker won't be able to remove the traces. How about one of the many chat applications that are always running on my phone?
My blog syndicates its new contents through an Atom feed so that people can subscribe to updates. And according to the server logs, people use them (that was the initial point of having them; so, thanks!). However, it wasn’t until recently that I actually read the standard and a few other online sources, when I discovered that a few things, such as the entry identifiers, have been done wrong all this time. I’m documenting these issues publicly in order to save for future reference.
Here is another quick one that is also easy to forget. One of the many uses of SSH is local and remote port forwarding. Using local port forwarding, you can set up a socket between a port in your local machine and your SSH server. Whenever a communication is established on that local port, it will be forwarded to the server and then, made. This has some interesting use cases, such as connecting to local services (web administration panels, databases…) or acting as a jump server or just a proxy server.
Rustup recently reached v1.0.0. Rustup is a toolchain installer and manager, allowing to install multiple toolchains: stable, beta, nightly, or a particular version. It is very easy and convenient instead of other solutions that rely on manually installing packages. It just became a core project of Rust as well. The download page at Rust website has been updated to reflect this. In fact, Multirust, a similar project for managing multiple Rust installations, is now deprecated.
I've been recently working on recovering posts from old blogs that were stored in my local backup, where they have been rotting for a lot of years. Those blog posts were made in WordPress and Blogger, and therefore had to be migrated into Jekyll. The experience has not been as bad as I thought it would be, althought there have been a few issues that I had to come through.
Previously I told you about Racer, an autocompletion tool for Rust that integrates nicely into many other editors. Today I’d like to talk to you about how to configure Rust autocompletion in Vim using Racer and some plugins. Please note that you need
racerinstalled before proceeding. Check out that blog post if you need some help.